Annually the AAR honors the best in-depth reporting on religion. The contest is open to all print and Web-based journalists at media outlets of any size. The first-place winner receives $1,000; second-place, $500; and third-place, $250. The deadline for submission is February 28. Contest winners are usually announced in June.
|Accepts entries starting|
|Entry Deadline||February 28, 2015|
|Decision Date||June 1, 2015|
|Entry Fee if (get_custom_field('awardentryfeedetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
|Monetary or Material Award if (get_custom_field('awardmoneydetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
About the Award
Peggy Fletcher Stack, Salt Lake Tribune
Plight of the ERMs
Jaweed Kaleem, Huffington Post
Family Undertaking: Home Funerals Add Intimacy to the Grieving Ritual
Matthew Brown, Deseret News
Supreme Court Ruling 50 Years Ago Set Modern Course for Religion in Public Schools
Jaweed Kaleem, Huffington Post
Buddhism's Race Problem: Buddhist 'People of Color Sanghas'
Jessica Ravitz, CNN.com
Crossing the Plains and Kicking Up Dirt, a New Mormon Pioneer
G. Jeffrey MacDonald, writing for the Christian Science Monitor
The New Face of Faith
Current and former journalists, plus a representative from the AAR’s Committee on the Public Understanding of Religion, which oversees the contest.
Monetary/Material Award Details
First Place: $1,000
Second Place: $500
Third Place: $250
- News articles, columns, editorials, and other opinion writing in print media of any size or in Web-based media.
- Three to five articles published during the previous calendar year, January 1 through December 31. Not less than three articles and not more than five may be submitted per entry.
- Any topic related to religion.
- Writing should include a historical, explanatory, or contextual approach to the subject matter, using research or perspectives of scholars.
- Writing for general audiences preferred.
- Writing on a diversity of topics (across traditions or within a single tradition) preferred.
- You should be the sole author, except that one of the articles may have multiple bylines or credits, provided that you identify the article and state that you did most of the writing.
- Non-English language articles, including those published outside North America, acceptable if translated into English. Copies of original articles must be included with submission.
- Sidebars acceptable as part of an article or may be entered as a separate article.
- Articles from a series acceptable, though other eligibility items should be considered: not less than three and not more than five articles per entry, and writing on a diversity of topics preferred.
Entry Fee Details
$25 per entry.
To submit your entry, please complete the Online Entry Form by February 28. Online submissions only; mailed submissions are not accepted.
- Create one document (Word, PDF, or text file) for all of your articles.
- Remove all identifiers from articles — bylines, photo credits, publication names, etc. — except headlines and dates published.
- Upload the one document (Word, PDF, or text file) containing all the articles in your submission. Online Entry Form
- Pay $25 (USD) by credit card: American Express, Discover, MasterCard, or Visa.