These awards recognize excellence in spot news photography and in telling a story with news photos. Entries are limited to photos taken during the previous year and should demonstrate a photographer's instincts and photo skills.
|Accepts entries starting|
|Entry Deadline||April 15, 2014|
|Ceremony Date||July 30, 2014|
|Entry Fee if (get_custom_field('awardentryfeedetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
|Monetary or Material Award if (get_custom_field('awardmoneydetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
About the Award
Judges will be looking for entries that:
• Demonstrate usefulness and benefits for readers
• Show thorough reporting
• Contain a strong story structure and a clear presentation
• Demonstrate superb writing style
Judges will use these criteria for all categories. If you make a claim of exclusivity,
please provide evidence.
Judging will be by panels designated by the National Press Club Awards Committee.
Winners will be notified and awards presented at a special National Press Club dinner.
Judges will have the discretion to award winners and honorable mentions in any and all
categories, but only if they decide such recognition is merited. Judges are not required
to select winners if the quality of the entries does not justify an award.
Monetary/Material Award Details
One free year of membership in appropriate category. No cash award.
Entries are limited to works of journalism disseminated in 2013. Through these awards,
the National Press Club seeks to recognize and honor professional journalists who have produced outstanding work
for the public, either independently or as employees of editorially independent news entities. In all cases, judges
will give weight to demonstration of individual enterprise, fairness, accuracy and objectivity. Content produced for
house organs, pamphlets, theses or reports will not be considered, nor will advocacy outlets of interest groups
such as trade associations, consumer organizations or government agencies. Entries may be submitted by either
journalists or their employers. Non-traditional entrants are free to explain in supporting materials how they meet
these journalistic criteria, and should submit a statement explaining their editorial independence.
The news picture story should be the work of a single news photographer.
Entry Fee Details
Spot news entries should be a news photograph of an unplanned event that is spontaneous and requires the photographer to rely on instincts and photo skills. News picture story should be a series of pictures that tell a news story and showcases the instincts and skills of the news photographer, and they should be a maximum of nine photos, which will be considered as one entry.
Entries are limited to photos taken during 2013. Photos taken for house organs, pamphlets or reports, or advocacy outlets of interest groups such as trade associations, consumer organizations or government agencies will not be considered. The photo awards are intended to honor professional photojournalists who have produced outstanding work, either independently for news organizations or as employees of those news organizations. Non-traditional entrants are free to explain in supporting materials how they meet these journalistic criteria.
Technical Submission Guidelines:
• Entrants should submit a printed copy of the photo as it appeared in a newspaper or magazine where the photo (or photos) appeared, or a printed copy or 'screen grab" of the news website where it appeared. The date of publication should be visible.
• Content must not be altered in Photoshop or by any other means to digitally add or subtract, beyond retouching to eliminate dust and scratches and reasonable adjustments such as cropping, dodging and burning and minor color adjustments.
JPG entries are required in all photography divisions, for both single-image and multiple-image story categories.
• File type: JPG; be sure each file is a .JPG and carries the extension ".JPG"
• Quality (under "compression"): .JPG high
• Resolution: 200 to 300 dpi, minimum
• Color Mode: RGB
• Image Size: 2,500 pixels or larger, on the longer side - width or height.
• File size for a single photograph should be no more than 4 MB
• Provide caption information for the photos that will be clear to the judges, maybe by numbering the photos in a picture story and matching numbers on the captions.
• Please provide your contact information, phone and email address, in case more information is needed.
If you're more comfortable filling out and mailing in your application manually, download an awards application in PDF format. Please be sure to include a check payable to "National Press Club Journalism Institute" in the amount of $50 for each application you submit. Applications will be discarded if received without payment or if the check is declined.
Download application here: http://press.org/sites/default/files/npcjia-form-2013.pdf
Front Desk: 202-662-7500
National Press Club
529 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20045