Religion Newswriters Association's multiple media awards are designed to recognize journalism excellence in using multimedia tools.
|Accepts entries starting|
|Entry Deadline||February 11, 2015|
|Entry Fee if (get_custom_field('awardentryfeedetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
|Monetary or Material Award if (get_custom_field('awardmoneydetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
About the Award
First place: David Gibson, Religion News Service
Monetary/Material Award Details
- 1st place: $250 and citation
- 2nd place: $150 and citation
- 3rd place: $100 and citation
Both niche (all religion) and general print, online or broadcast news media are eligible for the Commentary or Blog, Renner Enterprise and Supple Feature Writer categories, provided they are not owned, funded or operated by a denomination or faith group. Examples of eligible outlets include BBC, NPR, CBS, Time Magazine, Christianity Today, Newsweek, Slate, Christian Century, America, Commonweal, Tricycle, Tikkun, Islamica, Salon, Vanity Fair, and The Atlantic Monthly.
- RNA membership is not required for entry.
- RNA's president and vice presidents are not eligible to enter individual contests.
Entry Fee Details
- Early-bird entry fee (by 11:59 p.m. EST, Jan. 20): $45 for members / $90 for non-members
- Regular entry fee: $75 for members / $120 for non-members
- Eligible entrants include opinion-driven columns, syndicated columns, blogs, podcasts, vodcasts or other types of opinion pieces, regardless of media.
- Submit up to three individual pieces created and distributed via any media format in 2014.
- Comments or discussions by the public or readers in reaction to the commentary will not be included in the judging.
- Judging is not based on agreement or disagreement with the viewpoint expressed.
- RNA reserves the right to limit the presentation of awards for insufficient entry numbers.
Note: Applicants uncertain about whether to enter pieces in the Commentary or News Analysis contests should consider the following: The Analysis contest is designed mainly for third-person pieces, while the Commentary contest is mainly designed for first-person pieces. That said, the judges recognize that good commentary and good analysis can be in either first or third person. If your main goal was to present a personal view or a personal experience (even as it relates to news), your entry probably belongs in the Commentary contest. If your main goal was to dispassionately analyze a trend or news event, your entry probably belongs in the Analysis contest.
1. Prepare your entry in the format your award category requires. File size cannot exceed 30 MB. If submitting PDFs or URLs, please indicate on the entry form which components should be judged.
Broadcast & online entrants: Combine your files into one document (.mov, .wmv, .mp3, .mp4, interactive PDF) or submit static URLs.
Schachern entrants: Make interactive PDFs of your section and combine them into one document, or submit static URLs.
2. Use the online entry form to submit your materials and entry fee. If your entry was successfully submitted, you'll receive an e-mail confirmation from DebraMason(at)RNA(dot)org with the subject, "RELIGION | NEWSWRITERS - Thank you for your payment."
3. Deadline: 5 p.m. EST on
Feb. 3 Feb. 11