Religion Newswriters Association's multiple media awards are designed to recognize journalism excellence in using multimedia tools.
|Accepts entries starting|
|Entry Deadline||February 11, 2015|
|Entry Fee if (get_custom_field('awardentryfeedetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
|Monetary or Material Award if (get_custom_field('awardmoneydetails')): ?> (See Details) endif; ?>|
About the Award
First place: Reuters FaithWorld Blog
• Pressure Mounts to End Draft Exemption for Israel's Ultra-Orthodox
• Europe's Muslim Edge Towards Synchronizing Dates for Ramadan and Eid
• As Dutch Churches Shut, Their Sacred Art Finds New Uses Abroad
Monetary/Material Award Details
- 1st place: $250 and citation
- 2nd place: $150 and citation
- 3rd place: $100 and citation
Both niche (all religion) and general print, online or broadcast news media are eligible for the Commentary or Blog, Renner Enterprise and Supple Feature Writer categories, provided they are not owned, funded or operated by a denomination or faith group. Examples of eligible outlets include BBC, NPR, CBS, Time Magazine, Christianity Today, Newsweek, Slate, Christian Century, America, Commonweal, Tricycle, Tikkun, Islamica, Salon, Vanity Fair, and The Atlantic Monthly.
The eligibility stated above does not apply to the Schachern Online Section Award:
- Eligibility for the Schachern Award includes all media that do not cover religion exclusively, including publications, online news sites, or broadcast outlets that cover many general news topics and for which religion is a dedicated space, page, section or online vertical; provided they are not owned, funded or operated by a denomination or faith group.
If you are not certain, contact RNA headquarters.
- RNA membership is not required for entry.
- RNA's president and vice presidents are not eligible to enter individual contests.
Entry Fee Details
- Early-bird entry fee (by 11:59 p.m. EST, Jan. 20): $45 for members / $90 for non-members
- Regular entry fee: $75 for members / $120 for non-members
- Eligible entrants include all media that do not cover religion exclusively, including publications, online news sites, or broadcast outlets that cover many general news topics and for which religion is a dedicated space, page, section or online vertical.
- Submit up to three static URLs or interactive PDFs of religion sections or pages published online in 2014.Include all text, video, audio and related components (indicate which components should be judged).
- This award emphasizes diversity of topics, comprehensiveness, diversity of elements, navigation, writing, and effective use of multimedia design and comprehensiveness.
- RNA reserves the right to limit the presentation of awards for insufficient entry numbers.
1. Prepare your entry in the format your award category requires. File size cannot exceed 30 MB. If submitting PDFs or URLs, please indicate on the entry form which components should be judged.
Broadcast & online entrants: Combine your files into one document (.mov, .wmv, .mp3, .mp4, interactive PDF) or submit static URLs.
Schachern entrants: Make interactive PDFs of your section and combine them into one document, or submit static URLs.
2. Use the online entry form to submit your materials and entry fee. If your entry was successfully submitted, you'll receive an e-mail confirmation from DebraMason(at)RNA(dot)org with the subject, "RELIGION | NEWSWRITERS - Thank you for your payment."
3. Deadline: 5 p.m. EST on
Feb. 3 Feb. 11